In this article, we will show you which fields or variables are necessary to import your data file. We will also examine how to clean up and format your data file so you have the best experience with Organizer. Remember that all files imported into Organizer must be .csv file types and have under 50,000 records.
* For information on importing from PDI, VAN, or Nationbuilder, please review the following links:
Required System Fields
All uploads need the following data mapped to Organizer in order to function correctly in our system:
- Primary ID – a unique identifier assigned to each voter or contact
- First Name
- Last Name
- Street Number
- Street Name and Type
- Apartment Number
- City – (only required if the Zip is not included)
- State – (only required if the Zip is not included)
- Zip Code
If your data does not meet these requirements, you will receive an error message.
Fields can be one of two types, numeric or text, as indicated by the icon next to the field name. Numeric fields can use greater/less than function during filters; however, text columns are limited to either equal or include a list when filtering. Numeric fields will not recognize text (non-number, including "-" and "/"). This is important when cleaning your data because Precinct ; for example, Precinct is a numeric field and if your precinct column contains letter that field will not upload properly. properly if the column contains a letter.
Cleaning Your File
1. Check that street number, street name, and apartment are three separate fields. If needed use the concatenate function to combine all elements of the street name (prefix, street, suffix, type: North Main St).
4. Remove any unwanted fields.
For a detailed step by step guide to separating and combining column information with Concatenate and Text to Columns, refer to our Excel Tips and Tricks article.
1. Include geocodes in your file with Longitude and Latitude fields.